Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Text under word in LaTeX

Howdy!!!

If there is an activity graph that is generated on my posting habits, I'm pretty sure it would look like the ECG of a dying man. 
Sigh!! how I hate myself for not being able to post frequently. All I do here is rant. Most unfortunately, I cant rant as frequently as I want :(

The title gives away the suspense (if ever it would excite anyone!). In my last post, well a long time ago, I indicated that I have been working with LaTeX for a while, there is no change in the status :) Every time I discover something new I am like "Woah!" ( Expression flicked from a good friend Tejaswini ).

Now its about placing text under a word / sentence / symbol. What's so great? Well, the way your content is typeset becomes awesome!

For starters, this has to be executed in math mode in between text. So it may not work in the equation mode.
A simple example, you need to say summation over some i. Classically, the code for the same would look like this : $\sum_{i}$
And the typeset looks as under:

Now how nice would it be if we could place the i below the sigma? Well, I had to pull my hair out to figure out the same. Thankfully, some dude had posted the solution on a forum, I adopted that, and voila! my problem was solved.
So the code to make i appear below sigma is simple: $\underset{i}\sum$.
The typeset looks like this:
Ain't that what we wanted! :)

Enjoy TeX-ing :)

Signing off for now.

No comments: