Saturday, October 15, 2011

Code Indenting Made Easy

In continuation to my once-upon-a-time post about code indentation here is a quick post.

This is particularly helpful to those of us who get this kick of writing code in a single column indentation, ( some fancy name for hopelessly written code :-| ). I discovered these tools called GNU Indent and Artistic Style, when pulling out my hair reading someone's code.

Perl has a beautifier called Perltidy. I searched for "Is there a ctidy" and that is when I came across the two tools mentioned earlier. GNU Indent seems to be a C only beautifier*.
( * Correct me if I am wrong. I just read the description )

Artistic Style on the other hand works for Java, C, C++ and C#. It is a simple light weight yet powerful code formatter. You can download the source from here. Extract it to a convenient folder. Change directory to build and run make. If you prefer installing in some local location like me, provide the prefix information in install: make prefix=$HOME install. If you don't bother much, just run make install. There you have AS installed.

Running is even simple, (assuming AS is installed in the user's local bin directory)
~/<username>/bin/astyle <source files>

THAT'S IT!

AS does give plenty of options to format code, I wont go over all of it. Waste of time (:P) feel free to figure it out.

Now that the code is indented, let me figure out what it does!

Adios :)

No comments: