Monday, February 9, 2015

Citing with "theapa" style

I use LaTeX a lot for my writing (home works, reports, papers, presentations, hell even my own notes!). Anyone into scientific writing (if I can call it that!) will use bibliographic database for citing papers and other scientific materials.

Most bibliography styles provides for a couple of common ways of citing references at the basic level.

  1. Citing by numbers (mostly IEEE style) which I don't find intuitive when writing the account as first person; like this: [1].
  2. Citing fully with the author year; like this: (Narayan et al. 2015).
  3. Citing with author in the sentence and the year appears in parentheses; like this: Narayan et al. (2015)


The first two methods can be achieved using \cite{citationKey} while the third one uses \shortcite{citationKey}.

Enter theapa.sty & theapa.bst. The bibiliography style is specified as \bibliographystyle{theapa}.

I haven't been able to dig deep into how these differ from using \bibliographystyle{apalike} or \bibliographystyle{apacite}, but what I have discovered is using \bibliographystyle{theapa}, does not give the citation in the format 3 above. This pissed me off for a bit. However, not having a choice, I searched around for its usage. Some kind soul had put up an example TeX source code. The solution is the following


  1. To use author in the sentence and year appearing in parentheses use \citeA{citationKey}.
  2. To use author in the sentence, and to use the possessive noun form of the author, use \citeS{citationKey}.


That's all for now!

Until next time I feel like ranting, adios!

No comments: