Sunday, March 27, 2011

GLUG... GLUG.... GLUT.... GLU.... GL

... ... ... And thus ends a horrifying story. The bad-man dies shouting
"Heeeeeeeellllllllllppppppppppppppp!!! I am drowning....
glug... glug... glut... glu... gl... "

Errr... that sounds familiar.
Why did GLUT come in the story that was meant for my nephew??

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!

Uh oh! you guys are out there!  I guess, that's the effect of sticking on to OpenGL for over a week now. 

I was struggling with OpenGL, right from where I started. First it was installations. Here is a nice tutorial to get OpenGL to work with VisualStudio. Looks good ain't it? Pretty cool too. Simple and Short tutorial. BUT! it didn't work for me on my laptop :( Tried the same on my desktop @ home, worked like a charm.
NOW! I am sure a lot of my friends would yell at me for not completing the work when and WHERE it was working.
Me - being ME, tried to get it to work on the super awesome Dell Studio 14, the lady on my lap ( :-P ) Spent a good one day ( give and take, considering I was on Facebook for 51% of the time I was in front of the studio )

Finally after a useless day, I decided its time to call it Quits for VisualStudio. What did I do about it? I Tweeted :D

On a serious note, I tried to find material online for OpenGL + Eclipse + Windows ( Well that was exactly my search string on Google ) nothing very useful came up. I was no Lucky after all by selecting Google's "I'm Feeling lucky". I guess there was some basic problem with setting up the libraries.

I "Moved on!" booted Ubuntu after a LONG time. Thanks to the guys who came up with the concept of "apt-get". How apt! I got the OpenGL libraries installed in few words on command line.

Copy-pasted a sample program from the net. Where was I when I expected it to work wonders?? I was drawn back to earth, when the compiler threw up 
fatal error:  GL/gl.h : No such file or directory. compilation terminated.

Thanks g++ for bursting the bubble :-|

Realized that the problem was with the installation of OpenGL libraries. Re-installed them.

Bingo!! worked like a charm.




PS: This post was not published when it was drafted :-/ i m wondering why. It was listed in edit-open posts in my blog. Here goes, published :D


PPS: Wrote this when i was screwing around with OpenGL in December 2010 :D

No comments: